Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Vacation Tote Tutorial!

I'm still working on that gorgeous t-shirt quilt, but I took these pictures to make a tutorial a while ago, so...

Vacation Tote!!

Fabric Requirements:
     Main Fabric:
          Two 10"x10" Squares
          Two 10"x7" Rectangles
          One 3"xWOF Strip
          Two 3"xWOF Strips

     Lining Fabric
          Two 10"x10" Squares
          Two 10"x7" Rectangles
          One 3"xWOF Strip
  
     Interfacing/Batting as desired.  (I like to interface the lining and use batting on the two big sides of the outer purse.)


Step 1:  Sew the two 3"xWOF strips together, right sides together, along both edges.


Step 2:  Turn right side out. Press. Stitch again along both edges. (I like to use a decorative stitch here.) Set aside.


Step 3: Make the pockets. Sew the matching 10"x7" Rectangles together along the top edge with right sides together. Turn right side out and press this new seam.  You do not need to sew the other three sides, they will be sewn in construction seams.

If you like, you can embellish the pocket made with the lining fabric before sewing, as it will go on the outside of your bag.

Step 4: Attach pockets to purse sides. (Notice I switched fabrics -- I'm working on the inside pocket here.)  I will JUST pin my pocket to the purse side. (For me, it's pocket, purse piece, batting piece) For the inside pocket I will PIN the pocket to the purse, but I like to add a stitch line so that my cell phone has it's own pocket.


Step 5 - Add the sides/bottom.  I like to take the middle of my 3"xWOF strip, and center it in the middle of the bottom of the bag. Pin here, then sew.  Then pin the strip along one side, and sew. Repeat on the other side. The corners just get kinda folded on top of the bottom piece. Should look like this:


Step 6: Attach other side. Use the same process as step 5. I've turned this one right side out:

Step 7: Repeat steps 4, 5 & 6 to make the outer shell. Literally repeat. (Execpt I don't divide the pocket on the outside, though you totally could.)


Step 8: Pin the handle to the Outside of the purse. Be careful not to twist it!! This is where you adjust the length of the handle to suit your needs. Stitch handles to purse at desired length.
Step 9: Turn lining inside out.  Place Outside of the bag (which is right side out) INSIDE the lining of the bag (which is inside out). Stitch all the way around the top, leaving a gap for you to turn it.


Step 10: Turn the purse right side out. Iron this new seam. Stitch again all the way around the top, being careful to close that gap that you turned the purse through. (Again, I like to use a decorative stitch here.)

ALL DONE!!

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment